How to clean your outdoor furniture properly?
Outdoor furniture plays a crucial role in creating a comfortable and inviting outdoor space, whether it’s a cosy corner on your balcony, a sprawling patio, or a lush garden deck. As we spend more time enjoying the fresh air and sunshine, outdoor furniture can accumulate dirt, grime, and weather-related wear and tear. It actually gets dirty more often than indoor furniture due to weather changes and affection.That is why the proper cleaning services are so important.
Cleaning your outdoor furniture properly not only prolongs its life but also ensures a fresh and appealing ambience for your outdoor oasis. In this article, we took the time to explore the best practices for cleaning various types of outdoor furniture, from plastic and metal to wood and fabric, to help you maintain a clean and inviting outdoor space.
Take a good look at all our tips and get ready for a sparkling outdoor space!
Assess Your Furniture Materials before the cleaning service
Before you dive into the cleaning process, it’s essential to know the materials of your outdoor furniture. Different materials require specific cleaning methods to ensure optimal results without causing damage. It’s important to keep in mind the different materials and furniture and treat them properly to avoid mistakes that may cost you the furniture itself if you ruin it. Here are the most common outdoor furniture materials:
- Metal (aluminium, wrought iron, steel);
- Wood (teak, cedar, eucalyptus, or other hardwoods);
- Wicker or rattan;
- Fabric (cushions and upholstery);
- Gather the Necessary Supplies.
To clean your outdoor furniture, gather the following supplies:
- Mild dish soap;
- Warm water;
- Soft bristle brush or sponge;
- Hose with a nozzle attachment;
- Vinegar (white or apple cider);
- Baking soda;
- Lubricant or protectant (for metal furniture);
- Teak oil (for wooden furniture);
- Stain remover (for fabric cushions).
Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture
Plastic outdoor furniture is low-maintenance but can still get very dirty. To clean plastic furniture:
- Create a soapy water solution using mild dish soap and warm water;
- Use a soft bristle brush or sponge to scrub the plastic surfaces;
- Rinse with a hose, and let it air dry;
- For stubborn stains, make a paste of baking soda and water, apply it to the stains, and scrub with a brush. Rinse thoroughly.
Cleaning Metal Outdoor Furniture
Metal outdoor furniture, such as aluminium, wrought iron, or steel, can develop rust and dirt over time. To clean metal furniture:
- Make a cleaning solution using mild dish soap and warm water;
- Use a soft brush or sponge to scrub the metal surfaces, paying special attention to rust spots;
- Rinse with a hose and let it air dry;
- To prevent rust on metal furniture, apply a lubricant or protectant specifically designed for metal surfaces after cleaning.
Cleaning Wood Outdoor Furniture
Wood outdoor furniture, like teak, cedar, or eucalyptus, requires a bit more care. To clean wooden furniture:
- Create a solution with mild dish soap and warm water;
- Use a soft brush or sponge to clean the wood;
- Rinse thoroughly with a hose and allow it to air dry;
- For wood preservation, apply teak oil or a wood sealer annually to maintain its natural lustre and protect it from the elements.
Cleaning Wicker or Rattan Furniture
Wicker and rattan furniture should be cleaned gently to prevent damage. To clean wicker or rattan, repeat the steps from above. To prevent wicker or rattan from becoming brittle, occasionally mist it with water to maintain its flexibility.
Cleaning Fabric on Outdoor Furniture
The fabric on outdoor furniture, including cushions and upholstery clean, because they can accumulate stains and dirt. To clean fabric:
- Check the care labels on the fabric for any specific cleaning instructions;
- Remove cushions and machine wash them, following the care instructions;
- For spot cleaning, make a solution of mild dish soap and warm water;
- Use a soft brush or sponge to clean stains gently, then rinse with a hose;
- For stubborn stains, consider using a fabric stain remover according to the product’s instructions.
General Cleaning Tips
Regardless of the material, here are some general cleaning tips for outdoor furniture:
- Clean your outdoor furniture on a regular basis to prevent dirt and grime buildup;
- Use a cover or store your furniture during the off-season to protect it from harsh weather conditions;
- In case of mildew or mould, apply a mixture of water and white vinegar (1:1) or a store-bought mildew remover. Allow it to sit for a few minutes, scrub with a brush, then rinse thoroughly;
- Avoid using harsh chemical cleaners, which can damage the furniture’s finish;
- Always follow the manufacturer’s care and maintenance recommendations, especially for warranty purposes.
Contact a Professional End of Tenancy Cleaning Company
In case the area that needs cleaning is too big or hasn’t been maintained well enough and needs a deep clean, consider contacting a professional end of tenancy cleaning company in London. If your outdoor furniture is heavily stained or infested with mildew, professional cleaners have access to specialised cleaning agents and equipment to effectively remove stubborn stains and mould. Not to mention, high-end outdoor furniture may require delicate handling, and specialised cleaning products and professional cleaners are trained to handle such furniture with care.
Of course, at the end of the day, if you simply need someone to cover your cleaning duties while you take care of your daily tasks, an expert cleaning hand will save you both time and effort and is always a good choice to turn to professionals for that matter.
Final thoughts about outdoor cleaning
Properly cleaning your outdoor furniture is essential to maintain its longevity and keep your outdoor space inviting and enjoyable. By understanding the cleaning needs of different materials and following the tips provided in this article, you can ensure your outdoor furniture remains in excellent condition season after season.
While DIY cleaning is often sufficient, professional cleaning services offer an excellent solution for more complex cleaning challenges, large furniture sets, and high-end pieces. A well-maintained outdoor space provides a comfortable and appealing retreat for you, your family, and guests to enjoy the great outdoors in style and comfort.